I know I complain about my job a lot sometimes but there actually are quite a few things that make it all worthwhile.
My Job: Student Services Coordinator (Financial Aid Counselor) at Coastal Carolina University
1. I have the best co-workers. I couldn't ask for a better group of people to work with!! :) All together there are 17 of us, but only 5 in my immediate office, +3 student workers who rotate shifts. Along with myself, there are two other Financial Aid Counselors (Sam & Lisa), an Assistant Director of Financial Aid (Evelyn), and the Associate Director (Wendy). We really are like a little office family. We bring food to share often, we joke about everything, and probably talk about stuff that most would not consider "office friendly." We make working FUN!
2. State benefits. My current health insurance and its $250 deductible sure beats my previous independent insurance, whose deductible was $5000. I started in April and have already met my deductible. Plus, the deal I get on prescriptions now saves my
3. Summer hours. Even though we are SUPER busy during the summer, we work 10 hours four days a week and get to choose which day we have off from work. This past summer, I had off most Friday's and it was very nice.
4. Being appreciated. On top of the great amounts of gratitude we receive from our supervisors, it is awesome hearing appreciation from a parent/student. A woman told me just that I made her day today! It feels good hearing that.
5. Discounts. Working for the University gets me a lot of discounts off food and entertainment in the area. That is always a bonus.
6. Working Hours. I love my schedule. The state only requires we work 37.5 hours a week. Therefore, we work 8:30-5/Monday - Friday, with a full hour for lunch. Plus, I take my lunch at 1 and come back at 2 and by then... the day is practically over! :)
7. I work for the university where I graduated. I have pride for my Chanticleers and am proud to be working for my "alma mater." It is like they are paying my student loans off for me.
8. Free classes. We are able to take one free college course each semester. So technically, if I wanted to get my master's degree, a majority of those classes would be free for me to take. Unfortunately, they currently don't offer a master's program in my field... but if they ever do!
9. Free use of campus facilities. I can use any of our campus facilities free of charge. That includes the gym, olympic size swimming pool, track, etc. No need for a gym membership! Not that I use the gym anyway.... it is always an option.
10. I make a difference in the lives of students. Or I like to think I do! :) I help them gain aid to better themselves by getting a college degree. What could be better than that? :)